face 3.png

Documenting not dying since October 2013.

The 9th & 10th; My first photopheresis session with my veins.

The 9th of January. Today has felt very busy, but I've been sat down for most of it. We went to the QE for 10am today for my first photopheresis session with my veins. It didn't start off brilliantly, with me being stabbed and not bleeding, but then not stopping bleeding when the needle came out. Then they thought they'd have a go with the PICC line, which we were not optimistic about, and were correct - it's just too small. Then we had to wait for my right arm to stop bleeding before we could try going back in. So eventually I got going at 11:40. Then I pootled along quite nicely and was finished just after two o'clock, which was a lot quicker than we expected.

We waited for a little while afterwards, to make sure I didn't leak, then we left and got home just before three. I had coffee and changed my jumper, then we went to Grandma's. Took more flowers (she has a small garden in there now) and some cards, then we went to Miller & Carter and waited for Daddy.

Sophie from the deli was there! She sort of squealed my name and ran over, so we had a brief hug and chat, then we went to sit down. Daddy wasn't too later, but he'd told us his order so our food came and we chowed down. I was so hungry, I didn't even take a photo! I had an 8oz sirloin steak medium rare with chips, béarnaise sauce and lettuce with blue cheese and Stilton dressing. Then I had chocolate brownie and ice cream which I couldn't finish. Yes, I am now utterly stuffed.

photopheresis 1

The 10th of January.

Woke up at six but feeling okay. Got on the scales and I've put on another three pounds, which I can just about tolerate but that's pretty much my limit. I'm now in a strange place where I try to get back to my "normal" eating without consciously restricting my intake. Lack of exercise makes me feel lazy but breathing is unpredictable at the moment.

Anyway. I had photopheresis again today, and we got going much quicker than yesterday. Got into the vein on the first try, and then I just sat there for two and a half hours while my blood got treated.

We left just after one, after Jo changed my PICC line dressing and we got some supplies. We went to Charlotte Caldwell's house, mother of Emma who I was treated with at BCH and Sophie who is a gorgeous squidgy baby, to deliver a blanket from Project Linus for Emma. Charlotte tried not to cry and I played with squidgy Sophie. She was quite enamoured with my boots and handbag, so that got covered up before she attempted to eat it.

We drove home, I had a coffee, blogged and read Hadley Freeman's book. I now have Jamie Oliver on and God, he's irritating.

The 11th & 12th; I just feel listless.

My complex relationship with food.