face 3.png

Documenting not dying since October 2013.

The 24th & 25th; The Chanel experience was everything Mary said it would be.

The 24th of January. And back to normal waking up time - five o'clock today. I can't wait until I'm off steroids. My face will return to its original shape, I'll start sleeping past six am, and I won't be ravenous all the time. I've put on a pound and a half this week and I'm trying not to freak out about it because logically I know there are more important things but my brain is just warping all my rational thoughts.

Anne-Marie was supposed to come to flush my line this morning but she never materialised, and the people who responded to the message we left really didn't help at all.We needed to go to town to pick up the train tickets for tomorrow, so we weren't going to hang around and wait for her to arrive, so Mommy flushed my line and off we went. It's a good thing we're old hands at this by now.

Town was not particularly exciting; just errands. Oh, we did see the tiniest mouse in the world outside HSBC on New Street to which everyone was giving a wide berth to and squealing "Oh its so CUTE!" That was fun.

This afternoon, Mommy washed my hair and I read my book, and Daddy tried to fix the tap he broke this morning.

I'm very excited about tomorrow.

The 25th of January.

Isn't it funny how sitting in an armchair is completely different to sitting on a train or in a wheelchair all day? Actually I was in the wheelchair on the train too.

We had a good journey to London; assistance was timely, train was quiet, and the people at Euston were fairly prompt at getting me off the train which is unusual. We got a cab directly to New Bond Street and went to Chanel, looking in all the windows of the fancy shops we passed. I half-expected to see a member of the Made in Chelsea cast.

The Chanel experience was everything Mary said it would be. The doormen welcomed us in, then we sort of slowly meandered around, looking at all the things on display and saying good morning to every member of staff in our suddenly soft, posh voices. There was a section of the store that was up a couple of steps, and when I enquired about how to get up there, a man led us to what seemed to be a mirror, but was actually a door panel in the wall that opened to reveal a wheelchair lift! On the other side, we met a lovely man called Ulisses who I love. He just took care of us incredibly well, listening to what I wanted and was looking for, and after much discussion and viewing of a couple of bags, I have come home with a 2.55. He told us all the reasons behind the different aspects of the bag, and it was plain to see that he knows the brand and the story of Chanel inside out. I paid, and he went away to wrap it up, and we talked to a lady called Theresa who may have been the manager. She told us about how the store has been entirely finished by hand, from the different textures on the walls to the gilding on every single light fitting. Then Ulisses reappeared with the bag and his business card, and we said goodbye.

We found a little place called Everbean on Avery Row, where we had some really excellent coffee and we shared a chocolate cronut. I couldn't eat a whole on, and though it was yummy, it's not an experience I need to repeat.

Then we went to Selfridges where we met Amy at The Brass Rail for salt beef. Oh God it's so salty and delicious. I really love meat. We sat and took up space for a while, updating each other on our families' medical sagas, and suddenly it was 3 o'clock. We decided to go and look in the cook shop, but then only briefly toured round it before spending most of the next hour in the bookshop, marvelling at a particular book that cost £3,500 and flicking through all the cookery books.

When it got to 4pm, we needed to get a cab back to Euston. It was just starting to try and rain, so that was good timing. We said goodbye and had a big hug, then we were on our way home again. The train stopped because of a power failure which was slightly unnerving, and I nearly didn't get off the train as no assistance came at New Street until we actively got someone, but now we are home and I am knackered.

photo 2

photo 4

photo 3

photo 5

chanel 1

chanel 3

The 26th & 27th; My arm is a mess.

The 22nd & 23rd; I definitely feel less fuzzy than I do with lorazepam.